Saturday, February 25, 2012

Trackies

We watched our boy compete in heptathlon at States this weekend. We saw him high jump and pole vault, live streaming on our laptop, his dad and me, shoulder to shoulder across the bed, glued to the screen, always finding our boy in the crowd, lean and loping, watching him clear the bar, again and again. We saw him come third in high jump. His dad attended his track meets every weekend while he was in high school. He kept looking for our son's high school track buddies and having to remind himself this was college now. He said, "Finally, I get to see my son compete again!" We miss that boy.


6 comments:

  1. Technology is amazing! I love the idea of you and your husband on the bed watching closely for every second of your beloved son's image on the screen. I bet it meant a lot to him, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it did mean something to him. He was the one who called and let us know the meet would be streamed live, and then sent us the email with all the links and times when he would be competing. He may come to New York for a meet soon. I hope he qualifies.

      Delete
  2. It's freakin' awesome!

    ( having spent some time watching live streaming sports myself :) )

    and congrats to your son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you on his behalf, dear Deb. And on mine. xoxo

      Delete