Sunday, January 10, 2016

Personal history

The families of the two lovely young people above got together yesterday for a Broadway show and dinner, and it was a blast. We saw On Your Feet, the story of Gloria and Emilio Estefan and the Miami Sound Machine. The music, as expected, was rousing and wonderful, but what I hadn't counted on was the dramatic heft of personal history, and a touching love story, which had my husband and me in tears throughout most of the second half of the performance. At the end of the show the entire audience was on its feet clapping and dancing and singing along. I loved it. We walked out of there feeling happy and emotionally cleansed, and then we went to dinner at our favorite restaurant, Bettolona. After, we came back to our place, and my daughter's bf's mother wanted to see baby pictures of our girl. My daughter, being who she is, also delighted in showing them photos from her purple glasses and braces stage, which brought howls of laughter. Here is one of my favorites from another era. In truth, I think all her stages are darling.



8 comments:

  1. Well, you are right. She IS darling always and eternally. And beautiful as well.
    Sounds like a great evening! And what a handsome gentleman caller she has!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great performance and great family time! Your daught is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your girl has a beautifully kind and happy face! And she looks wonderful in purple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed. Nothing even awkward in those photos. The camera loves her, as, it seems, do a lot of people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading this- I need to go to a show!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, of course they are -- how could she ever have known a non-darling moment? I had to laugh at the purple glasses -- I had a particularly awkward time when I was thirteen. I wore pink glasses with pink-tinted lenses. How my mother allowed this still makes me wonder, but I imagine she thought I was darling.

    ReplyDelete