Friday, May 17, 2013

Driftwood Artist



There's the artist who makes those driftwood sculptures along the river. His name is Tom Loback, and he's been doing these sculptures for more than a decade. “I’m not saying I’m making great art here,” he told the New York Times, “but it’s absolutely accessible sculpture. Anyone who doesn’t like it can climb down and change it, and it happens frequently.” I do think he's making some very fine art, and the ephemeral nature of it makes me even more grateful for his effort, and humbled by the imperative of the artist to create.





3 comments:

  1. I love your new header picture. It is sublime.
    So is driftwood art. Artists who create things like this make me fall hard for the human race, despite all of our craposity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! I'm so glad you found this article! I remember reading about this guy and thinking how cool it is that he does what he does -- injecting a little bit of artistry or whimsy into every commuter's day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that is art, great art, and so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete